Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tin is Element #50

1. My Name:


In English, my name is Tin. My symbol, Sn, comes from the Tin's Latin name stannum. No one really knows where my name, Tin, originated. My German name is Zinn, my Swedish name is Tenn, and my Italian name is Stagno.









2. My Image:


Me as a pure element: I look silvery and shiny



3. My Nucleus:

My average atomic mass is 118.72. My most abundant isotope is Sn-120. This means it has 50 protons and 70 neutrons. Another one of my isotopes is Sn-118 with a natrural abundance of 24.22% and the half-life is stable.


4. My Electrons:

There are 50 electrons, since there are 50 protons in a neutral tin atom. There are 5 electron shells: 2, 8, 18, 18, 4.

5. My Atom:

My atomic radius in picometers is 140.5 so it is 0.0000000001405 meters.


6. My Properties:

Melting point: 505.08 K
Boiling point: 2875 K
Liquid Range: 2369.92 K





7. My Home(Body, Planet, Universe):

In a 113lb body, there is approximately 0.010260400000000001grams of me in it.
In Earth, by weight, my abundance is 2200ppb (parts per billion)
In the Universe, my abundance is 4ppb




8. My Compounds:

 Some compound examples are OXIDES:

Tin Oxide: SnO










Tin dioxide: SnO2









FLOURIDES:

Tin difluoride: SnF2

Tin tetrafluoride: SnF4
 









9. My Story:

No specific person has discovered me. I have been known since ancient times.I have been used for at least for 5500 years according to archaeological evidence. When I am mixed with copper, I make the alloy bronze, very famous of the Bronze Age.

10. My Jobs:

Some of my jobs include:

  • used to coat other metals to prevent corrosion

  • tin salts sprayed onto glass are used to produce electrically conductive coatings

  • window glass is made by floating molten glass on molten tin to produce a flat surface


11. Interesting Fact:

The actor who played the Tin Man from the 1939 movie, The Wizard of Oz, who was supposedly made out of tin, was really wearing aluminum paste on his face, not tin.














12. My Reference:

Jefferson Lab: http://www.jlab.org/


1 comment:

  1. This was SUPER helpful for my class project!! :) Thanks sooo much!

    ReplyDelete